Tuesday, October 17, 2006

From 35 to 11 Overnight

I have had little down time, between rehearsals with Griffin, performances of the Tempest (which closes this weekend after quite a long run for various reasons that I will not get into: if you must know ask me), and meetings of all kinds for T&L. Tempest closes Sun after the 2:30pm show, Monday 9:00am Frindle opens. From 35 to 11 Overnight. I finally get to shave wich I know Sarah is ready for.

My friend Amy G. asked me to design lights for a show she is directing, which opens right after our Jan show with T&L. Then it will be my directing slot with T&L. I thought about the last few days and it looks I am booked for the next year, great in very many ways, yet sad to think that there will be so much work out there that will be interesting, and I won’t be able to even think about auditioning. At least I can be an audience member whenever I want to.

Saw Lear at the Goodman two weeks ago, and loved it. I think you either love it or hate it, but I think it will be well remembered as the one of the first major US 21st Century Shakespearian productions. Also saw the Griffin’s Dead End. It takes some time to get into (about 15min) but then it settles in and you get caught up in it. This play from the 1930’s holds up quite well, and one quickly sees how the right ideas have been around for years and years we just still don’t pay attention. It is quite well acted all around, and many of the smaller characters have a major scene or two and then are gone. I thought the period was captured perfectly in the entire concept of the show. Even if the cast is at different levels experience wise (and in a cast 28 so everyone has varying levels of training etc) everyone steps up to the plate ready to do their part and it shows and makes the play that much stronger.

Still reading scripts Dec 2nd is the FINAL meeting where we will lock ourselves into Kim’s apartment and not emerge until we have picked our next two shows following Earl.

Well back to work at the day job [sigh].

-DB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home